BCCC staff would like to invite all of the BCCC community to attend our annual Ice Cream Social. The weather looks like it will be beautiful so we plan to host it on our playground. We offer the social as another way for families to connect with each other and our staff – and it’s a good reason to share something we love- ice cream! I hope you can come!
The first week of preschool and after school care is just about complete. We’ve had a fun and busy week at Bethlehem. We’ve been thankful for the beautiful weather this week which has given us many opportunities to play outside. It has been fun to get to know the new children who are attending our program as well as reestablish connections with our returning children who weren’t here this past summer.
This year we have more children who arrive earlier than we’ve typically had each morning. Because of this we are working out the details for the best routine for the early morning time.
Families who bring their preschool children before 8:30 will continue to bring them into the Beginners room at drop off. The school age children who come between 7 and 7:30 will also go to the Beginners room and those who come after 7:30 will meet Ms. Sue outside or in Fellowship Hall. She’ll bring the group to the busses at about 8:00.
Somewhere around 8:15 all of the preschool children will be going outside to play – if it is raining outside we’ll be going into Fellowship Hall instead. At about 8:45 both of the Pre-K classrooms will return to their classrooms for some table toy time. As the half day children arrive (after 8:55) they’ll be joining their classroom. Each of the classes will also go outside for another half an hour later in the morning.
I’ll be sending out the 2016 – 2017 Calendar’s today. You will find the Tuition due schedule as well as any dates we are closed and special dates that we’ll gather as a community. The first of the special days is Tuesday, September 20 – we’ll be hosting an Ice Cream Social between 6:00 p.m. & 7:00 p.m. I’ll be adding the special dates to our online calendar as well.
I am putting a sheet of what we currently have for your child’s contact information into your family mailbox today (where you sign your child in and out). Please look it over and make any corrections and return it to Jill no later than Friday, September 9. We print all of the information and take it with us in case of an emergency and I’d rather get the corrections included in the printouts. Please remember to let the office know if you have any changes to your cell phone number or emergency contact information throughout this year.
Have a wonderful long weekend – we are closed on Monday, September 5.
We are excited for the 2016-2017 school year! On Wednesday, August 24th, we will be hosting an Open House from 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. The children will have opportunities to explore their classroom space and meet their teachers before classes begin the week of Monday, August 29.
The Open House gatherings are often quite busy and crowded as families come and go. This year, families will sign up for a time slot that will best meet your needs. If you plan to attend, please RSVP with the following link:
Please email me an individual, close-up photo of your child before the Open House. Send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Janine, our office assistant, should have contacted you if you have any forms that are missing. Please do not wait until Open House night to turn these in as we need the files completed in order for your child to begin the week of August 29. If you have misplaced or are unsure of the forms you need, please email Janine at Janine@bethlehemkids.org.
We have had some staffing changes over the summer. Ms. Sue has retired after working and blessing Bethlehem for the past 15 years! She will be missed as our Lead Beginner Teacher. Also, Mr. Michael will be leaving at the end of the summer to pursue his goal of becoming an elementary teacher.
With that knowledge, here are the new classroom teams:
Beginners: Ms. Melissa, Mr. Scott, and Ms. Ally
Pre-K A: Ms. Tessa, Ms. Amanda (returning teacher who previously worked here for 5 years) – these two will co-teach, and Ms. Ashley
Pre-K B: Ms. Rosemary and Ms. Karen
Most of the teachers have their bio’s on the webpage (www.bethlehemkids.org) – I’ll update the positions and add the new staff soon.
Another topic I wanted to address is regarding Spanish class on Monday mornings. We’ve had different teachers each year for the past three years – it is hard to find someone to commit to teaching for only 3 hours a week. Thus, we’ve decided to make a change and we will not be having our specific Monday morning Spanish lesson. Instead, each classroom will be intentional in teaching the children phrases, songs, and basic commands in Spanish to use throughout the week.
We’re excited to add an additional opportunity for our kids to learn about Christ. We have been working with Pastor Kari, BCC’s Children’s Pastor, and Pastor Dave, BCC’s Youth Pastor (and Ms. Tessa’s husband), to add chapel time to our schedules. We will communicate with you as details are solidified.
- Every family will receive an updated Parent Handbook this fall and it contains the information in this list – I am pulling out some of the important information to start the year. I will email the Parent Handbook to you and you can request a hard copy if that is what you prefer.
- Each family has a mailbox located in the hallway which we will be using to communicate with families. We ask that only adults take out the mail as sometimes children take mail out of the incorrect boxes. Please check it regularly.
- Each family will be given a unique door code to use to enter BCCC. The code is to be used by adults only. It will be in your parent mailbox on Open House night.
- Please clearly label your child’s lunch box, extra clothes, jacket, mittens, hats, etc. with their name as we have many children with similar items.
- Families pack a balanced lunch each day. BCCC provides milk and water with lunch. Please do not send juice boxes or other sweet drinks.
- Reminder: We are a peanut free site. Please be very aware of the foods you are sending in lunches and do not include those that have peanuts listed in the ingredients.
- We play outside EVERY DAY (unless the temperature or wind chill is below zero or above 100 degrees) so be sure to dress your child in comfortable play clothes and appropriate shoes – closed toes and back strap – for running and playing.
- Sign out sheets are located on the table by the parent mailboxes. Please remember to sign your child in and out each day.
- If your child stays at BCCC all day please send a thin receiving-blanket sized blanket. It isn’t necessary to send a pillow but if your child wants one please send a small, travel size pillow or small pillow pet. The blankets and pillows stay on the cots when we stack them and larger/bulkier items make the cots unstable. If blankets and pillows aren’t the appropriate size, we won’t be able to keep them at the center. The blankets will be sent home periodically for you to wash and return on the next nap day.
- Tuition is due the first Friday of each 4 week billing cycle, late fees ($30) will be assessed for late payment. The tuition box is the black mailbox located across the hall from the office. Families have a couple options for the first payment since the school year has one week in August. The tuition statement will reflect tuition for August 29 – September 30, 5 weeks. The payment can be split for the one week in August, due September 2, and then the four weeks in September, due September 9. The back of the Parent Handbook will have a schedule of when payments are due.
- Families can pay via check, cash, credit card – Jill is the only staff member that can swipe your card- or using our online payment service, Tuition Express. If you want information for Tuition Express you can email Jill and request your code.
- I encourage you to subscribe to the e-letters & updates on our website, www.bethlehemkids.org . Look on the right hand column and you will find a spot to enter your email address. This is set up as a blog which means you will automatically be notified when updates occur. The annoying part of this is that you will get many notifications on the day we all update our newsletters. The good news is that you cannot miss the fact that we’ve updated our newsletters and can choose which to open based on which are important to you.
- Your classroom teachers will have more information for you at Open House.
We look forward to seeing each of you on Wednesday, August 24.
This is a brand new arts access program open exclusively to metro public library users. As a pilot program, smARTpass is a smaller-scale, six-month test to see how a larger-scale program might work in practice. If you have a library card from any of the eight public library systems in the Twin Cities 7-county metro (Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, and Washington counties, and the city of Saint Paul), you have the opportunity to reserve free and/or discounted admission to a wide range of arts experiences.
Can you believe that today was a “Sunscreen Day”? If the UV index is a 5 or above we need to apply sunscreen to children who will be outside more than 20 minutes. We use a lotion from Rocky Mountain Sunscreen- here is information taken from their website (http://www.rmsunscreen.com/128OunceGallonSPF50Kids.aspx) explaining their product:
- Enhanced Bonding Base Formula
- SPF 50 Broad Spectrum 400nm UVA / UVB with Avobenzone
- Water Resistant (80 Minutes)
- Hypoallergenic Moisturizing Sunscreen
- Safe for daily use
- Greaseless and non-comedogenic
- Free of fragrance, DEA, nut oil, gluten, glycol, PABA, Casein, silicone, and retinyl palmitate.
- Provides maximum FDA certified, broad spectrum protection. Allows skin to breathe and perspire, keeping body cool naturally. Bonding-based formulas do not wash away during water activities or periods of extreme perspiration.
If you choose to supply your own sunscreen for your child it needs to be a lotion – we do not use spray products. The product needs to be given to a teacher – none can be stored in their cubby.