Bethlehem Child Care Center
Our Beginners Program
Beginners is our program for 3 and 4 year olds. It is a place for children to learn, grow, discover and explore! Our focus is on developmentally appropriate play activities, including a balance of structured group times (stories, music, and art projects) and less structured time for free play.
During free play, children are given a variety of options which are changed and enriched regularly. These include: pre-literacy activities, a dramatic play area, fine and gross motor activities, art projects, math and science activities, and time for social development.
We pride ourselves on maintaining low teacher to student ratios, typically 1:7. This allows our teachers to spend more one on one time with each child and creates an excellent learning environment. Our class sizes are usually 15-20 students per day. We offer both full day and half day options and require that you enroll your child for a minimum of 2 days a week.
We will enroll children based on these criteria:
1. The order in which we receive completed paperwork.
2. Beginners: children must be 3 by September 1. Pre-K: children must be 4 by September 1.
3. For applications in the Beginners room: children who turn 3 between September 1 and October 1 will be automatically added to the Wait List. They will be eligible to be assigned to Beginners if there are openings after June 1.
4. Children who turn 3 after October 1 will not be enrolled in the program.
Beginners 3 & 4 year Olds
HALF DAY PROGRAM
9:00 am to 1:00 /M-F
Sample Daily Schedule
9:00 Group Time, welcome & calendar
9:30 Work Centers / Free choice
11:00 Story Time, songs, & finger plays
11:30 Outdoor play
1:00 Half day children are picked up
All children bring their own lunch.
FULL DAY PROGRAM
7:00 am – 6:00 pm / M-F
Full day children are part of our morning Beginners class.
The remainder of the daily schedule is as follows:
12:45 Story time
1:00 Rest/Nap Time
1:45 Quiet Activities and Work Centers
2:45 Free choice and snack
4:00 Outdoor play
5:00 Stories, art, dramatic play, Fellowship Hall
6:00 Center closes
NOTE: Children must be 3 years old and fully toilet trained to start Beginners.
BCCC’s TOILET TRAINED POLICY:
Children enrolled in Beginners and Pre-K must be toilet trained before attending. We recognize that it is not uncommon for a child who is fully toilet trained to have a setback/accident when he/she is in a new environment. Staff are aware of this and will provide many opportunities to use the bathroom. Accidents are considered unusual incidents and should happen infrequently.
We have a “three accident” policy. When three accidents occur in one month’s time, we will re-evaluate your child’s placement in our program. Upon enrollment there is a two-week grace period, and we will not begin counting accidents until the two weeks pass.
Toilet trained children can:
- Communicate to the teacher that he/she needs to go to the bathroom.
- Go to the bathroom and perform the necessary functions without assistance from an adult.
- Wear cloth underwear: pull-ups are not allowed.
If your child is enrolled, but not completely toilet trained as described, you may choose one of the following options:
- You may withdraw your child from the preschool and place their name at the top of our waiting list without paying tuition. (The registration fee is nonrefundable, and you are not guaranteed placement.)
- You may continue to pay tuition to hold your child’s spot until toilet training has been completed.